Thrive Through Student Life
The brain of a teenager is inherently different from that of a mature adult. Undoubtedly, teens and parents would agree.
During the second decade of life — the years between childhood and adulthood — profound growth and remarkable changes in the brain occur. The brain's "wiring" becomes more complex and even more efficient, especially in the prefrontal cortex — one of the last areas of the brain to fully mature. The prefrontal cortex is responsible for skills such as setting priorities, organizing plans and ideas, forming strategies, controlling impulses, and allocating attention.
This means that the ability to plan, socially adapt, imagine consequences of actions, or gauge emotional significance is still developing throughout adolescence. As the brain develops and decision-making "circuits" begin to connect, teens shape their own expansion through the choices they make, or are guided to make. During this phase of life, direction from adults, mentors, teachers, and parents is essential.
Incorporate these simple tips into the life of your teen to help them thrive through student life and establish healthy habits for the future:
Get a Good Night's Sleep
Anyone who has pulled an all-nighter knows there is a price to be paid the next day: trouble concentrating, fuzzy memory, limited information retention, moodiness, as well as other short and long-term imbalances.
Sleep consolidates and reorganizes memories, fixing them in the brain for later retrieval, and helps produce new and creative ideas. Teenagers who run up significant sleep deficits can adversely affect their own mental ability. To get a good night's sleep, settle the teen mind and prepare for sleep by 10:00 p.m.
Try these healthy sleep-promoting herbal formulas:
- Blissful Sleep — supports falling asleep faster and enjoying deeper, more refreshing sleep. Stress, frustration, worry, heavy foods and sensory overload keep the mind active and create problems falling asleep, or create sleep that is light and restless. When the mind is relaxed, sleep becomes sound. Blissful Sleep produces a calming, balancing effect on the body, mind and emotions, and promotes waking up recharged, vitally alive, and ready to take on the day.
- Deep Rest — is especially formulated for those who have difficulty staying asleep, or tend to wake up in the middle of the night or early in the morning after less than six hours of sleep. This herbal combination promotes deep, uninterrupted sleep and waking up feeling refreshed.
Harness Mental Potential
Ayurvedic herbs for the mind (medhya herbs) promote learning, retention and recall, and provide powerful nourishment for the brain.
Maharishi Ayurveda medhya herbs are found in these special herbal formulations:
- Intelligence Plus — is a powerful ayurvedic formula for anyone who needs to learn new information. Enliven the ability to absorb, retain and utilize knowledge, and confidence will be the result. Intelligence Plus simultaneously calms the mind and helps develop concentration, increasing performance and mental potential even under pressure of exams and deadlines.
- Organic Youthful Mind — rejuvenates the mind, promoting memory and alertness. Remove toxins that impede learning and memory, while promoting a healthy response to mental stress, innate learning ability, and the development of consciousness — regardless of age — with this top-selling herbal formula.
- Bio-Immune — nourishes the mind-body connection, psychoneuroimmune response, and natural defenses, and addresses the source of poor health while promoting a healthy resistance to stress. This powerful herbal combination also helps eliminate digestive impurities and toxins that can affect natural immunity.
Food for Thought
How we eat is as important as what we eat. Eat intentionally, in a settled environment without watching TV, which can interfere with the body's ability to digest food. Eat slowly and chew food well. When possible, eat at the same time each day, with the main meal at noon when digestion is strongest, and lighter meals in the morning and evening. Avoid ice-cold drinks, as they disrupt the digestive fire (agni) and hinder the assimilation of vital nutrients.
Foods that are natural and pure (free of toxins, chemicals, pesticides, and GMOs) offer the most valuable nutrition. Foods that have been genetically altered, processed or refined have much of their natural intelligence stripped from them, and they can disturb the intellect and coordination. Cook fresh and organic foods that will enhance the entire physiology and support accelerated performance.
© Copyright 2019 Maharishi Ayurvedic Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.