Peas and Potato Curry
Vegetarian Cooking for Lifelong Health the Ayurveda Way
from Heaven’s Banquet by Miriam Kasin Hospodar
- ¼ cup ghee
- Pinch of hing (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- 5 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 cup peas
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat the ghee or oil in a pot.
- Add the hing, ginger, and cumin seeds and sauté for 1 minute over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Add the potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the water, turmeric, fenugreek, peas, and a sprinkling of salt.
- Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Adjust the salt.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve over rice or Indian flatbread.
The sole purpose of these articles is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained ayurvedic expert, call or e-mail us for the number of a physician in your area. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.