Balanced Digestion, Balanced Health
If you're feeling sluggish, dull or occasionally constipated, it's likely that toxins are building up in your body. According to Maharishi Ayurveda, toxins accumulate when your digestion and elimination are out of sync. This imbalance can lead to skin breakouts, menstrual cramps, fatigue, feelings of occasional sadness and other health issues. Balancing digestion and elimination is a specialty of Maharishi Ayurveda, and many of our herbal formulas do just that. One of our most effective formulas for balancing digestion is Organic Digest Tone, which contains Triphala, a powerful Ayurvedic herbal combination of three remarkable fruits.
"Happiness for me is largely a matter of digestion." - Lin Yutang
The three fruits in Organic Digest Tone are Amla (see image), Chebulic myrobalan and Belleric myrobalan — and each by itself possesses superior rejuvenative and health-giving qualities. Because Organic Digest Tone contains three elixirs in one compound, it is considered one of the most valuable herbal preparations in the world. A fourth ingredient, Cabbage Rose, is added to aid the synergy of the other ingredients and increase their effectiveness.
How does Triphala work? A mild laxative, it purifies so gently that when used for an extended period of time, it detoxifies even the deepest tissues and organs of the body. Impressively, in addition to possessing this powerful cleansing quality, Triphala actually supports absorption of food rather than depleting the body's nutrients. There are two byproducts of digestion: ama and ojas. Ama, toxic waste, is the byproduct of improper digestion. Of course, we don't want ama. What we want is ojas: the finest product of digestion, which, according to the historical traditional texts of Ayurveda, prevents health imbalances, creates luster in the skin and rejuvenates vital energy in the entire body. Organic Digest Tone promotes ojas in the body.
Digestion, when respected, supports healthy weight, consciousness, balanced moods, beauty and bliss; when disrespected, toxins accumulate and have the potential to cause many problems. There is an amazing potential for health, balance and bliss available in balanced, strong digestion. Vaidyas (Ayurvedic experts) recommend Organic Digest Tone (Triphala Plus), as this traditional, revered herbal formulation supports all other herbal products you take.
How Organic Digest Tone Cleanses and Rejuvenates:
- Rejuvenates the digestive tract
- Assists the body in absorbing nutrients from food. Organic Digest Tone is antioxidant-rich.
- Promotes healthy circulation and includes capillary-supporting flavonoids; works as a cardio tonic
- Helps cleanse the liver of toxins and supports its efficient functioning
- Helps body tissue to detoxify slowly, including blood, muscle and fat tissues
- Assists with maintaining healthy levels of cholesterol
- Constituents include vitamin C and quercetin
- Supports respiratory health
- Assists the body with normal elimination, acting as a mild laxative
- Assists the body in weight balance
- As an added benefit, it is nourishing to both the eyes and the skin
Tips for Promoting Healthy Digestion and Elimination:
- Avoid eating leftovers and foods that contain preservatives. Your body has to work harder to eliminate these impurities from the liver and cells.
- Avoid cold drinks, as these reduce digestive power.
- Drink plenty of warm water to help flush toxins from the body. Consider drinking Organic Kapha Tea, which stimulates sluggish metabolism and digestion, with meals.
- Avoid cigarette smoke, alcohol, drugs, chemicals, pollution and exposure to other toxins as much as possible.
- Go to bed by 10 p.m. so the body can rest during its natural purification cycle from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Eat your main meal at noon, when your digestive fire is high.
- Engage in light, pleasant conversation while you're eating to support good digestion.
- Don’t watch TV, read or work while you're eating. It's best to eat consciously, paying attention to the taste and texture of your food as well as how it makes you feel. Let your body be your guide, as it instinctively knows what is best for it.
- Eat plenty of green, leafy vegetables and stick to a high-fiber diet of fresh fruits, vegetables and grains.
- Cook with Ayurvedic herbs and flavors, including Ayurvedic Spice Mixes like Vata, Pitta, and Kapha Churna.
- For free Ayurvedic recipes, self-care guides, podcasts and newsletters, be sure to visit www.mapi.com.
(Cover and inside photo of Amla Berry fruits By-lalithamba, Flickr Creative Commons)
The sole purpose of these articles is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained ayurvedic expert, call or e-mail us for the number of a physician in your area. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.