Ayurvedic Thermos Flask Lunch
Fast, Fresh Ayurvedic Thermos Lunch
Ayurveda recommends freshly-made foods. "Freshly-made" is a central principle in ayurvedic cooking. It is recommended because the goal of ayurvedic agricultural practices, meal preparation and even eating is to preserve, enhance and deliver the embodied intelligence of a plant. When you choose fresh organic foods, and prepare them fresh, you are choosing the maximum balancing power and intelligence available in food for your mind and body. When possible, use a stainless steel or glass core thermos, as some plastics may leach chemicals into your food.
- ¼ cup organic yellow split mung beans
- ½ cup organic basmati rice
- 1½ cups of fresh organic vegetables, cut into small pieces to fit into a thermos
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon of organic ghee
- 1 tablespoon of Maharishi Ayurveda Organic Vata, Pitta or Kapha Spice Mixtures, or whole or ground ayurvedic spices to taste (salt, pepper, cumin, ginger, turmeric, etc.)
- Briefly sauté the spices in the ghee on low-medium heat. Add the mung dhal, rice and chopped vegetables.
- Cover with the water, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- While still boiling hot, pour the mixture into a one-liter or one-quart thermos (you may need to spoon it in, but don't let the mixture cool).
- Close the thermos quickly and leave it closed for about four hours.
- The meal will cook in the thermos and be ready to eat after four hours.
- Since mung dhal and rice swell up substantially, you will need a generous amount of water to get the proper consistency.
Recipe courtesy of The Raj. www.theraj.com. The Raj is America's premier Ayurveda Health Center. It is the only such facility outside of India specifically built to offer traditional ayurveda rejuvenation treatments. The French country-style facility encompasses 36,000 square feet and is situated on 100 acres of rolling meadows and woodlands in Iowa's heartland.
(Vegetable Photo [http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcoetzee/8538378880/] By Derrick Coetzee, http://ow.ly/ltBhV, Flickr Creative Commons. This photograph and credit do not constitute an endorsement of MAPI products by the photographer. The image is used under the terms of Flickr's Creative Commons rules: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/deed.en)
© Copyright 2019 Maharishi Ayurvedic Products International, Inc. (MAPI). All Rights Reserved. MAPI does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. See additional information.