Every formula includes the whole herb, not just the isolated ingredient. This is a major difference between a traditional, authentic ayurveda formula and modern medicine—our herbs use the whole plant, a natural way to avoid negative side effects and ensure maximum effectiveness.
One of the specialties of ayurveda is the science of herb combining -- sanyog -- that has been proven over thousands of years of clinical practice. Maharishi Ayurveda herbal formulations are, with very few exceptions, blends rather than single herbs or oils, and epitomize the science of herb combining at its sophisticated best.
Each of our formulas is a precise combination of herbs that are carefully selected and combined to strengthen the formula in different ways:
- Primary herbs target a specific area of health, such as energy or the mind.
- Supporting herbs enhance the action of the primary herbs and reinforce their healing action.
- Bioavailability herbs help your body assimilate and use the nutrients.
- Herbal 'co-factors' remove impurities and the effects of less-than-perfect digestion from your body.
- Balancing herbs cancel out any potential discomforts or side effects that can come with the benefits of a particular herb.
Together these different types of herbs create a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts and result in a final formula that has the twin benefits of wholeness and balance.
We use the whole herb in our formulas, not isolated ingredients, because we understand that Nature's healing wisdom is a delicate balance that is preserved in the whole plant, not an isolated chemical.
"Maharishi Ayurveda always formulates its herbs in combination because herbs in isolation may result in side-effects. If you just took that one herb you might get the predicted benefit. But if you took that herb day after day, month after month, and maybe year after year, it might tend to increase a certain dosha or decrease a certain dosha. Over a long time it could actually have some imbalancing effect. Ayurveda by definition is always aiming at creating balance. So Maharishi Ayurveda always combines herbs." -- Dr. Nancy Lonsdorf