Poppy Seed Chutney
Eat at night, less than one hour before bed.
- Natural sleep aid; balances both Pitta and Vata
- Pacifies Vata, especially in the mind (Prana Vata)
- Pacifies Pitta in the heart and mind (Sadhaka Pitta)
These are the subdoshas most likely to affect good-quality sleep.
- 1 teaspoon white poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon coconut powder (fresh-grated is best)
- Pinches of ground cumin and turmeric
- Small amount of ghee (clarified butter)
- Mix white poppy seeds with coconut powder.
- Add small amounts of water while mixing to form a thick paste.
- Melt ghee in a frying pan until it becomes clear (cloudiness is gone).
- Add turmeric and cumin; mix well.
- Remove immediately; simmer off heat until color and aroma change.
- Add to poppy seed mixture, stir well, let stand 5 minutes.
- Add a little salt to taste.
The clarity of the ghee is important in the cooking. When the ghee becomes clear, the temperature is just right for bringing out all the benefits of the herbs.