by Chef Mosa Scalzer
"This dish is simple yet elegant. It is not too sweet, not too heavy, and oh so yummy. When we made this dish at the former Lancaster Health Center, the guests loved it!" said Mosa.
- 2 to 3 ripe organic pears
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely-slivered fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch cardamom powder
- Optional — 2 tablespoons of organic raisins
- Peel and cut the pears into quarters or smaller.
- Combine all ingredients in a stainless steel pot. Add water to cover the pears by half. Cook over a low heat for 30 to 40 minutes or until the juice becomes like a syrup.
Options: Use organic apple juice instead of water (and not organic brown sugar). Serve on a platter or in a bowl and garnish with mint leaves.