Chef Mosa at the Maharishi Ayurveda Health Center in Lancaster, Massachusetts
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, blended
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 4 to 5 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp. grated ginger
- ¼ tsp. asafoetida
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. gharam masala
- 1 to 2 tsp. salt
- ½ cup cashews (ground in coffee grinder or blender)
- ¼ cup freshly-chopped cilantro
- Brown sugar
- 3 cups hot water
- Add ghee to saucepan and heat on medium flame.
- Add raisins for 30 seconds, then remove raisins from ghee and keep separate.
- To the ghee, add cumin seeds until brown.
- Add grated ginger, bay leaves, asafoetida, turmeric, gharam masala, and stir a few times.
- Add blended tomatoes and salt. Stir and cover. Keep on medium flame, and boil for 15-20 minutes.
- After 15-20 minutes, while stirring, add raisins, ground cashews, and sugar.
- Slowly pour in the 3 cups of hot water and stir for 3-5 minutes.
- Add fried balls, stir, and cover for 5 minutes.
- Turn off flame, and garnish with freshly-chopped cilantro leaves.