Vegetable Barley Soup
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 teaspoons Vata Churna
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Heat ghee in a large pot and sauté the Vata Churna for 30 seconds. Add celery and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring soup to a boil. Cover, lower heat and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until barley is soft, about 2 hours.
You can significantly reduce cooking time if you make this soup in a pressure cooker. Follow step one of the recipe, but in step two, after you add all ingredients, seal pressure cooker and bring it up to high pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook for 15 minutes.