from Heaven’s Banquet by Miriam Kasin Hospodar
Makes 7 cups
- 8 ounces (230 g) tortilla chips or
- 8 fresh corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- Oil for deep-frying (if using fresh tortillas)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or mild-flavored oil
- Pinch of hing (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 teaspoon epazote (optional)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup loosely-packed chopped fresh cilantro
- Black pepper
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Grated Monterey jack cheese
- Avocado slices
To prepare fresh tortilla strips
- Preheat the oven to 350 ºF.
- Spread the tortilla strips on a cookie sheet.
- Toast in the oven until crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil at least 1 inch deep in a pot.
- Have a tray covered with paper towels nearby.
- Fry the tortilla strips until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
To prepare tortilla soup
- Heat the ghee in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the hing and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the stock or water, epazote, and diced potatoes.
- Purée the tomatoes with the water in a blender or food processor. Add to the soup.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Stir in the tortilla strips or chips.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Purée the soup with the cilantro in a blender or food processor.
- It should have the texture of thin porridge. Thin with stock or water if necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with sour cream, a sprinkling of grated cheese, and avocado slices.