Three Bean Stew
Your family will love this three bean stew. Beans are a staple food in ayurvedic nutrition because they are a rich source of vegetarian protein.
- ¾ cup dried pinto beans
- ¾ cup dried black beans
- ¾ cup dried kidney beans
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. ghee
- 6 celery stalks, chopped to bite-size pieces
- 2 or 3 fresh serrano peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. Maharishi Ayurveda Organic Vata Churna
- Black pepper
- Pick over and discard any damaged beans and remove any small stones. Rinse the beans and, in a large bowl, add water to cover by an inch and soak for 4 to 8 hours.
- In a medium stock pan, warm the olive oil and ghee and add the Organic Vata Churna, peppers and celery and sauté until the celery is soft, about 7 minutes. Add the chili powder and mix well.
- Next, discard the water from the soaked beans and stir into the spice-and-vegetable mix. Add enough water to cover the beans 3 inches and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and cook uncovered until the beans are tender, about 2½ hours.
- Add a little more water if the beans begin to dry out. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe by Dennis Boatright