Kidney Bean Soup
by vpk® by Maharishi Ayurveda
Ayurvedic recipes for kidney bean soup, satisfies all 6 tastes and does not imbalance the doshas.
- 1 cup dried kidney beans (or your favorite seasonal legume)
- 5-6 cups of water
- 2-inch piece ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground coriander seeds
- 5 curry leaves (available at Indian grocery stores)
- 1 pinch hing (asafetida)
- ½ teaspoon ajwain
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- One pinch cinnamon
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- 1 celery stick, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup fresh spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak beans in water overnight. Drain and discard water.
- In a large soup pot, melt the ghee.
- Fry black mustard seeds on medium-low heat until they pop (it takes very little time, usually under a minute).
- Add cumin, hing, ginger, ajwain, coriander and curry leaves.
- Sauté for about one minute. Be careful not to burn the spices.
- Add the beans and stir once. Add the fresh water, turmeric, cinnamon, carrots and celery and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low boil and cook about 25 minutes or until the beans are soft.
- Add the spinach, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with rice.