Here's a delicious, healthy recipe for beet soup that your family will enjoy. Ayurveda emphasizes the importance of eating as many fresh, home-cooked meals as possible to promote health and longevity.
- 2 cups finely-sliced fresh beets cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced parsley
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ cup potato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon organic raw sugar
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- Fresh yogurt for garnish
- Sauté onion in ghee for 5 minutes. Add water, beets, potato, carrot, and celery. Bring to a boil, then cover pot and bring heat to a medium low.
- Allow to cook for 45 minutes or until beets are tender but not overcooked.
- Add lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir well. Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream on top.