Warm Carrot Milk
by Monica Kar
- 1¼ cup organic milk
- 1 green cardamom pod
- 2 medium carrots
- Organic Sucanat to taste
- Prepare the carrots by cutting off the ends, peeling the carrots, and finely grating them.
- Pour the milk in a pan and cook on medium-high heat with the cardamom.
- Wait till it becomes a little hot before adding the grated carrots. Stir often, allowing the milk to gently boil until the carrots soften.
- Turn off the heat and keep stirring (to avoid a skin forming on the milk) until it reaches the temperature of hot tea.
- Pour in a bowl, add the Sucanat — a little less than you think you need, as the carrots are sweet.
- Enjoy "eating" this milk with a spoon, like you would any hot cereal.
Quinoa or amaranth can be cooked separately in water and added to the carrot milk. Increase the quantity of milk, as the grain will soak up a little of the milk.
In our house, this was a favored breakfast during the transition from winter to spring, and could be supper or dinner with the addition of quinoa or amaranth.