by Monica Kar
- Steel cut oats
- Organic fruit of choice — apples, pears
- Organic dates or honey
- Organic berries of choice — black, blue, raspberries, strawberries
- Blanched chopped organic almonds
- In a pan, put oatmeal and water in a 1:2 ratio. Cut your choice of fruit into this (I use the skin of the fruit as well).
- If you are adding dates, cut those into the pan as well and put on high heat.
- As soon as you see bubbles, lower the heat to low and cover the pan. Let this cook for about 10-12 minutes — it cooks quite quickly.
- Turn off the heat; add fresh organic berries of your choice, along with chopped blanched almonds.
- Serve in a bowl and add the honey in the end, if using any.
This is a good winter or wet-spring breakfast for Vata or Pitta and, if eating smaller quantities, for Kapha as well. I have been known to have this for dinner in the spring! It is delicious and warms you up quickly. It gives you the feeling of "full" without the "bleh" after-effect that too much sweet can sometimes give you.