Spiced Garbanzo Beans
Great as a snack with crusty bread or as a side dish.
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and cooked in plenty of water until tender — soft but not a mush
- 2 Tbsp. ghee
- ½ cup fresh yogurt
- ¼ tsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. fennel powder
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, crushed
- ½ mild green chili, seeded and sliced (if trying to balance Kapha)
- 1 tsp. finely-chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat ghee in a pot. Add whole cumin seeds. As they brown and release their aroma, add ginger and green chili.
- Sauté briefly, then add all the powdered spices and sauté for an additional 2 minutes until aromas are released.
- Do not allow spices to burn. Add yogurt and continue to sauté for 3-5 minutes till it loses its raw look and is blended with the spices.
- Fold in the garbanzo beans, season and mix well. Garnish with the cilantro leaves and serve hot.