Panir with Fresh Mango-Pomegranate Sauce
by Domnick Mason
This exotic main dish will please the eyes as well as the palate. Pomegranate is the most Pitta-pacifying of all foods, and when puréed with mango and drizzled on fresh cheese squares, it creates a delicious and nutritious protein dish that feels light on the stomach in summer.
- 10 ounces or 2 cups of fresh panir
- ½ cup fresh mango or mango purée
- ½ cup freshly-made yogurt
- ¼-inch section of fresh ginger root, peeled
- 1-2 teaspoons agave syrup (sweeten to taste)
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- Fresh-squeezed juice of ¼ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- Salt to taste
- A couple of sprigs of mint
- Combine all ingredients but the panir and mint in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place on a baking sheet or inside a baking pan.
- Cover the panir with the Mango-Pomengranate Purée. Bake for ten minutes at 400 °F. (For convection ovens, bake at 350 °F for ten minutes.)
- The baking will allow the panir to soften and absorb the flavors of the purée.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve warm.