Green Beans Dressed in Coconut Milk
by Mosarene Scalzer
- 1 pound green beans, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or organic cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons room-temperature water
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped leeks
- ½ teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced into quarters
- 1 can of coconut milk
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Steam the green beans until soft but still bright green.
- While the beans are steaming, prepare the arrowroot by stirring it into the room-temperature water until completely dissolved.
- In a sauté pan or wok, melt the ghee and add the mustard seeds.
- Once they start to pop like popcorn, add the leeks and freshly-ground pepper and sauté until the leeks are soft.
- Add turmeric and salt and stir. Add the tomatoes and stir. Add the green beans and stir. Stir again.
- Add the coconut milk with the arrowroot-water mixture and stir again.
- Turn the heat off and add the freshly-chopped cilantro and stir.
- Serve this colorful dish warm.