Yellow Squash Couscous with Garbanzo Beans
Recipe courtesy of Dennis Boatright
Serves 4 to 6 as a main course
This Middle Eastern-style dish is a delight for the eyes. The color and the aroma are heartwarming. The dish can be served as a side to a more opulent main dish or as the entrée itself.
- 1 cup baby carrots, sliced very thin
- 4 small yellow squash, quartered and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered and sliced ½ inch thick
- 3 Tbsp. ghee
- 1 Tbsp. Maharishi Ayurveda Organic Kapha Churna Stimulating Spice Mix
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups or 16 oz. garbanzo beans, cooked until tender
- 10 oz. dried couscous
- 1 tsp. salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 °F. Using a large, covered roasting pan, combine the first seven ingredients.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, making sure the cover is tight.
- Carefully remove from the oven and stir in salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Add the dried couscous and stir thoroughly.
- Replace the lid and put back in the oven for five more minutes or until the couscous has absorbed the liquid from the pan.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.