by Kumuda Reddy, M.D. and Linda Egenes
- 1 cup grated carrots (steamed)
- 1 cup pinto beans or black beans, cooked and mashed
- 1 cup cooked short-grain rice
- ¼ cup ground almonds that have been soaked overnight
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Ghee or olive oil for frying
- Grated organic mozzarella cheese for garnish (option)
- Blend all ingredients together to form a thick mixture.
- You can use a food processor, and if needed add more ground nuts to make a thicker mixture. (Be careful not to process too much, as the batter will become too thin to form patties.)
- Form thin patties and fry in ghee or olive oil, about 7 minutes each side.
- Melt fresh mozzarella cheese over one side and serve on a bun. You can also serve it in a pita pocket bread with lettuce.
Recipes excerpted with permission from the book Super Healthy Kids: A Parent's Guide to Maharishi Ayurveda by Kumuda Reddy, M.D., and Linda Egenes.