Three Pepper Rice
Serves 4 as a side and 2 as a main dish
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice (tender, but grains fluffy and separate)
- 3 bell peppers, one each red, yellow and orange, julienned
- ½ cup small broccoli florets
- 1 tsp. dried sweet basil leaf
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 2 Tbsp. ghee
- 8 halved black olives (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the ghee in a large pot. Add peppers; sauté for 3-4 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add the broccoli and continue sautéing for 5 minutes more. Add the basil and rosemary; stir to mix.
- Fold in the rice, salt and pepper and 2/3 of the cheese.
- Turn off the heat and stir gently until well mixed. Garnish with olives, cilantro and remaining cheese.
Basmati is a long-grained rice grown in northern India. It has a nutty flavor and aroma which combines especially well with ghee and spices. Available at Indian grocery stores or some health food stores.