Savory Pumpkin Vegetable
Chef Mosa at the Maharishi Ayurveda Health Center in Lancaster, Massachusetts
- 5 cups of pumpkin, peeled and chopped into 1- to 2-inch cubes
- 1½ tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 to 4 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp. grated ginger (fresh)
- ¼ tsp. asafoetida
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. gharam masala
- ½ tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. brown sugar
- Steam pumpkin cubes for 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium flame, heat ghee until hot and add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds are brown — stirring constantly — add ginger, bay leaves, asafoetida, and (last) add turmeric and gharam masala.
- Add steamed pumpkin, stir, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, coriander powder, and sugar.
- Stir well, and then cover for 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and serve.