Mixed Vegetables in a Tomato-Cream Sauce
Serves 4 as a side and 2 as a main dish
- 2 cups mixed prepared vegetables (such as shelled peas; small broccoli or cauliflower florets; diced potatoes, zucchini or carrots; or cut green beans)
- 1½ cups puréed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. ground fennel
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Heat ghee in a large pan. Add ginger and dry spices, and stir to release aromas.
- Immediately add the vegetables; sauté for 3-4 minutes, coating vegetables with the spice-laden ghee.
- Add the water, cover and cook until vegetables are nearly done.
- Add puréed tomatoes and salt, stir and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off heat, stir in the cream, top with chopped cilantro and serve with rice or bread.