- 1 cup barley
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper in small slices
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Bring water to a boil. Add barley and reduce to low heat.
- Cover and cook for 40 minutes or until water is cooked out.
- In a separate frying pan, heat olive oil.
- Add mustard seeds; when they begin to pop add cumin and fenugreek and cook for about one minute.
- Then add fresh ginger, turmeric and red pepper.
- After 3 minutes add the cooked barley. Cook for several minutes and garnish with parsley and basil.
- Add salt to taste.