- ¾ cup basmati rice
- ½ cup split mung beans with skins
- ¾ cup brown sugar or crushed jaggery
- A large pinch nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅓ cup chopped cashews
- ⅓ cup sweet raisins
- 2 Tbsp. ghee
- A few strands of saffron soaked in a Tbsp. milk
- Wash and drain rice and mung beans and cook in 2-3 cups water until tender and soft.
- Add the brown sugar or crushed jaggery and the saffron/milk and mix well.
- Stir constantly to prevent the rice mixture from sticking to the pot and reduce heat to low after the sugar/jaggery is blended.
- Heat the ghee and fry the nuts and raisins until golden.
- Add the cardamom and nutmeg to the ghee, turn off the heat and mix into the rice mixture.
- Serve warm.
Note — Jaggery and basmati rice are available at most Indian grocery stores.