One nine-inch cheesecake
Miriam's dad's favorite recipe in the book. The yogurt produces a light, fluffy cake with a special flavor and texture.
- 3 cups yogurt
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons finely-grated lemon zest
- 9-inch unbaked Crumb Crust*
- 1¼ cups finely-crushed graham cracker or cookie crumbs
- 3½ tablespoons melted ghee or butter
- 2 tablespoons raw or packed brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into the crust. Bake until the top is lightly browned in a few places, 50 - 60 minutes.
- Chill until firm. The filling will sink slightly.
*Preparing the Crumb Crust
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Immediately press evenly into a buttered 9-inch pie pan. If you wait, the ghee or butter will harden and the mixture will be difficult to work with.
Recipe is reprinted with permission from Heaven's Banquet, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar, April, 1999.