This decadent combination of carrots, cream and nuts makes a luscious Vata-balancing dessert.
- 2 cups finely-grated carrots
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 6 cups milk
- ¾ cup organic sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup finely-chopped mixed nuts — cashews, peeled almonds and pistachios
- Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add the carrots and sauté in the ghee for about 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Lower the heat and continue to cook the carrots in the milk for 45-60 minutes, stirring constantly.
- At the end of this process the milk-carrot mixture should be fairly thick.
- Add the sugar and cook for another 20 minutes, stirring the mixture to avoid burning.
- Add the cream and the powdered cardamom and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a small pan.
- Add the nuts and sauté in the ghee on medium heat until golden brown and aromatic.
- Pour the ghee and nuts over the kheer. Serve warm.