by Miriam Kasin Hospodar, from Heaven’s Banquet: Vegetarian Cooking for Lifelong Health the Ayurveda Way
Makes one 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf
- 2 cups drained grated zucchini
- ¼ cup melted ghee or butter
- 1¼ cups raw or packed brown sugar
- 1¼ cups unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup raisins or chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and lightly flour a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Mix the zucchini, ghee or butter, and sugar.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and add to the zucchini mixture.
- Add the buttermilk and mix just until all the ingredients are blended. Stir in the raisins or dates and the nuts.
- Spoon into the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 1 hour.