Sugar-Free Fruit Bread
- 1 cup finely-chopped dates
- ½ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup ghee, melted
- 3 sweet apples, peeled, cored and shredded
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Place chopped dates and raisins in a 2-cup measuring cup and cover with water. Soak for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Mix ghee and apples. Add soaked dates and raisins.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and stir into wet ingredients until thoroughly moist. Stir in walnuts; the batter will be thick.
- Spoon the mixture into the buttered pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 50 minutes.
- You can also make a dozen muffins from the same batter. Bake on 400° F for about 20 minutes.