Rustic Polenta Muffins with Pine Nuts
from Heaven’s Banquet by Miriam Kasin Hospodar
These savory, organic pine-nut-studded muffins are wonderful accompaniments to luncheons and dinners, in addition to playing their usual role as breakfast fare. You can prepare them in no time in a food processor.
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup organic polenta
- ⅓ cup melted organic ghee with garlic and rosemary
- 1 cup unbleached organic white flour
- 2 Tbsp. organic raw or brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 cup organic buttermilk
- Heat the oven to 400 °F.
- Butter a muffin tin.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Slowly stir in the polenta.
- Cover, remove from the heat without cooking, and allow cooling to room temperature.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt together.
- Beat the ghee into the polenta until the grain is free of lumps.
- Add to the dry ingredients.
- Add the buttermilk. Beat just until the ingredients are mixed together and no more.
- Overbeating toughens the muffins.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until done. Be careful not to overbake, or the pine nuts will burn.
- Remove each muffin carefully to a platter. (Do not overturn the muffin tin and shake out the muffins, or you’ll lose all the pine nuts!)
- Serve warm with more ghee with garlic and rosemary for spreading.