Organic Thanksgiving Chapati
Chef Mosa of the former Maharishi Ayurveda Health Center in Lancaster, Massachusetts
Yield: 8 chapatis
- 2 cups organic wheat chapati flour
- 1 Tbsp. melted ghee
- ½ cup cool water
- Chapati flour for dusting while rolling
- Sieve chapati flour in round bowl (if using a food processor, add flour and ghee, start mixing, add water slowly).
- Work until smooth. If sticky, add a few spoons of flour.
- If dry and cracking, add only a few drops of water at a time (your finger should come out clean when pressed into the dough).
- Set aside, covered with a moist cloth or wrap, 10 minutes.
- Separate dough into 8-10 one-inch balls. Roll each ball into four-inch, thin flat breads. Dust with only a few pinches of flour at a time. (The thinner they are, the faster they cook.)
- Heat chapati flat skillet (or any thick iron skillet) on medium heat.
- Cook first side until first bubble. Turn with flat, metal spatula.
- When bubbles start again, remove to a grill, over a direct flame, until it puffs. Turn again with tongs.
- When it puffs again, it is done.
- Keep on a warming plate, wrapped in a double cloth, in a serving tray.
IMPORTANT: Chapatis should be cooked just before serving.