Vaidya Siju's Digestive Lassi
by Vaidya Siju
Black salt, also known as kala namak, is very effective as a digestive aid when used in lassi. Kala namak is used extensively in Indian cuisine as a condiment, and is often added to chaats, chutneys, all kinds of fruits, raitas and many other tasty Indian snacks. It has a mild sulfur smell and taste, which is delicious, but can take some getting used to for some American palates. In addition to helping digest ama (toxins), it also alleviates gas problems. This gourmet salt can be purchased at most Indian grocery stores and some health food stores.
- 3 parts water (room temperature)
- 1 part organic yogurt
- Pinch of salt to taste, ideally black salt
- Several pinches of cumin powder
- ¼-½ tsp. chopped cilantro or mint leaves
- Blend for one minute and drink after lunch – at room temperature or slightly chilled.