This is a wonderful wheat-free alternative to the delicious Italian specialty.
- 3 cups spelt flour
- 3 Tbsp. ghee
- 1 Tbsp. Organic Pitta Churna Cooling Spice Mix
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp. dry Italian herb mix
- Garlic paste (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast, water and sugar and let stand covered for about five minutes. The yeast will appear to "bloom."
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of melted ghee, 2 cups of the spelt flour and the salt. Whisk well. Have fun. This is a messy process.
- After all the mixture is moist and sticky, slowly add the remaining cup of flour a little at a time until all the flour is used and you have a nice, elastic textured dough.
- Using half of the remaining ghee, oil another large mixing bowl and place the dough ball inside.
- Cover and place in a warm spot for 45 minutes until the dough is doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 400° F, placing a rack in the lowest position.
- Use remaining ghee to oil a round cooking sheet. A 12-inch pizza pan works great!
- After the dough has risen, remove from bowl and push down; reform the dough ball in the center of the pan, pushing the dough out evenly to the edges.
- When formed, sprinkle the top with Italian herbs and spread with several teaspoons of the garlic paste if desired.
- Bake on bottom rack for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool and cut into squares for serving.
- Dried Italian herb mixes generally contain oregano, basil, thyme and sometimes rosemary, and are available in the spice section of most grocery stores.
Recipe courtesy of Dennis Boatright