Spring Skin Refreshers
In tune with nature
Ayurveda suggests a skin care calendar that follows the rhythm of the seasons. Spring is the ideal season to focus on deep-cleansing the skin from within and without to foster healthy skin cell growth and counter excess oiliness and breakouts, which tend to be more common at this time of the year.
In spring, toxins inside the body start to liquefy naturally, and your body works hard to cleanse itself. Some toxins are expelled through the skin, so you need to focus on deep exfoliation and cleansing to keep it looking clear and radiant through this season.
Rx for Spring Skin
Your skin is a mirror of what's happening inside your body. Beautiful skin begins from within, with a balanced diet, good digestion and proper absorption of nutrients by your body. Start with an ama-reducing diet. If you combine a light, easy-to-digest diet with an internal cleansing program, your skin will look beautifully smooth and radiant.
Here are some tips from The Council of Maharishi Ayurveda Physicians for cleansing from within:
- Eat light. Cut down on heavy, cold foods; deep-fried foods; and rich sweets.
- Include several servings of fresh organic vegetables, especially cooked leafy greens, in your diet. Whole grains such as quinoa and amaranth are excellent sources of nutrients and fiber.
- Eat lots of cleansing foods, such as sweet juicy fruits, during the day.
- Add spices such as coriander, cumin, turmeric, and fennel to your diet to help stimulate the digestion and detoxify the skin.
- Drink plenty of warm water to help the cleansing process.
- For healthy skin, it's also important to keep the elimination system running smoothly. The Herbal Cleanse capsules or Organic Digest Tone tablets can help.
- A seasonal detox program can help purify the whole body, including the skin. Take Elim-Tox or Elim-Tox-O for two months, along with the Organic Digest Tone tablets or Herbal Cleanse capsules. These herbal formulas aid the body in flushing out toxins that tend to accumulate through the winter.
An herbal skin care program
Natural skin care products rich in botanicals that gently cleanse toxins from the skin and nourish skin cells will help rejuvenate winter-weary skin and bring the bloom back.
Here are some things to remember:
- Do a warm oil massage (abhyanga) regularly and follow with a warm bath to allow impurities to liquefy and flow out of the body tissues. The Youthful Skin Massage Oil contains powerful herbs to purify the skin.
- Thoroughly cleanse your face morning and night with the Youthful Skin Herbal Soap or Cleansing Gel. Rinse with plenty of warm or room-temperature water.
- It's important not to put anything on the skin that can clog the pores. Youthful Skin Cream nourishes the skin without being greasy or clogging.
- Wear a hat when you go out in the spring sunshine to protect your skin and maintain moisture balance.
The sole purpose of these articles is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained ayurvedic expert, call or e-mail us for the number of a physician in your area. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.