Ask the Ayurvedic Expert: Hair Care
What can I do for premature gray?
Hair color is regulated by Ranjaka Pitta, which relates to the blood. It is also affected by Bhrajaka Pitta, which relates to the skin.
The health, color and luster of the hair begins in the liver. If the liver is weak, then Ranjaka Pitta is aggravated; impurities circulate in the blood and can accumulate in the scalp.
Another factor is stress. If you are under a lot of pressure it aggravates the mind, Prana Vata, which can disrupt the hair-building process and accelerate premature graying.
Diet and lifestyle tips:
- Eat pure, fresh foods that are relatively easy to digest.
- Favor green leafy vegetables and sweet juicy fruits.
- Avoid stressful situations.
- The Transcendental Meditation® program is highly effective for reducing stress.
- The herbal supplement Healthy Hair & Nails helps nourish the liver and Ranjaka Pitta and Bhrajaka Pitta.
- The herbal supplement Worry Free helps nourish the mind and Prana Vata.
My hair always looks lifeless and I am also plagued by falling hair. Please suggest some ways to strengthen my hair and increase its longevity and look.
Fat is the raw material for building not only bones but also hair and nails. Blood supplies vital nutrients and helps remove toxins from the scalp.
The life of each strand of hair parallels the life of the body as a whole — both depend on good nutrition. Dry hair and hair loss are generally signs of poor nutrition.
Diet and lifestyle tips:
- A pure, balanced diet and low-stress lifestyle increase the health and longevity of the hair.
- The Transcendental Meditation® technique is highly effective in reducing stress.
- The Liver Balance formula helps strengthen the liver, which supports healthy hair.
- The Healthy Hair & Nails formula is especially formulated with keshya (good for the hair) herbs and helps support hair health and longevity.
- The Calcium Support formula helps the body absorb more calcium from your diet. Calcium is valuable for building strong hair and nails.
- Maharishi Ayurveda's natural hair care formulations cleanse and condition the hair without damaging it.
The sole purpose of these articles is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained ayurvedic expert, call or e-mail us for the number of a physician in your area. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.