Maharishi Aromatherapy for Supporting Immunity
Essential oils are ideal for aiding immunity during the cold winter months when the physiology is more susceptible to getting a cold or flu. Flu viruses and colds can be spread by infected people coughing and sneezing, spreading their germs in the air. Sometimes flu viruses can be picked up by touching something with germs and flu viruses on it and then touching the mouth or nose. A person can be infectious even before they experience any symptoms, and for up to seven days after becoming sick, so protection is essential.
Virtually all pure essential oils have bactericidal and anti-microbial properties, which offer support to the immune system. Because essential oils are natural, organic substances, they enliven the body's own self-healing mechanisms and restore health to the body and mind. All essential oils have a complex chemical structure and a large number of components with many properties to aid the immune system to function in a healthy manner. The therapeutic effects of pure essential oils cannot be duplicated in a laboratory.
Respiratory Protection Sets
Maharishi Ayurveda offers essential oils that can be combined into three sets for respiratory protection:
How To Use the Essential Oils
To Protect Your Environment:
- Cleanse and purify the air using essential oils in aroma lamps and diffusers.
- Make a spray. Add 10-20 drops of your favourite oil(s) to an 8-oz. mister bottle filled with distilled water. Shake well and spray.
- For household hygiene, add a few drops of an antibacterial essential oil such as Lemon, Tea Tree, or Lavender to your cleaning liquid when washing down kitchen counters, door handles, and bathroom fixtures.
To Protect Yourself:
- Inhale the essential oils for a strong, immediate effect. Put a few drops of oil on the palm of your hand, rub your hands together and inhale deeply.
- Use the oils topically by rubbing them onto specific parts of the body, according to the effect you wish to create. Essential oils should always be diluted in a good-quality vegetable carrier oil before applying to the skin. The standard dilution is 20-40 drops essential oil to 2 ounces carrier oil.
- Use the desired essential oils in a bath, or add the oils to a partial or full-body massage.
- After your shower, put 3-5 drops of essential oil on your hands and rub them together. While your skin is still damp from the shower, quickly and evenly spread the oil over your arms, legs, and torso. Allow to dry.
- Gargle with 1-2 drops of essential oil mixed thoroughly with a teaspoon of organic honey and diluted with 30 ml warm water.
Protection When Traveling:
- Carry a handkerchief, cotton ball, or tissue soaked with drops of an essential oil and inhale occasionally while traveling. This is particularly useful in public transport, where the air may not be very fresh. The hankie can be kept in a small plastic bag.
The sole purpose of these articles is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained ayurvedic expert, call or e-mail us for the number of a physician in your area. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.